I was really in the mood for pizza, but didn’t want to break the diet. So, I decided to make my keto take on a Taco Bell Mexican Pizza, and it turned out pretty well.
Stuff you’ll need:
- 1 large low-carb tortilla (I used a carb-balance wheat burrito flour)
- 7 oz salsa (I used a 7.7 oz can of La Costeña Mexican Salsa, which is more sauce-like)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mexican cheese blend
- Toppings of your choice (I sliced up these jalapeño & cheddar beef sticks I got from a butcher, worked perfectly, you could also use cooked taco meat, seasoned shrimp, chicken, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
How to make it:
- Preheat your oven to 400º
- You may want to use a cookie sheet, but I opted to put the tortilla on a pizza paddle and cook directly on the oven rack. Either way, lay out your tortilla and spread the sauce evenly across it, leaving about 1/2″ – 3/4″ sauce free on the edges.
- Spread your shredded cheese evenly over the sauce.
- Spread your toppings.
- Sprinkle the cilantro over the pie.
- Pop it into the oven and cook until the cheese is starting to brown and the tortilla is crisped up. In my counter-top oven, this took about 10 minutes.
This was really tasty. I may try it again with homemade low-carb tortillas, as I can make them a bit thicker, and I may try to make my own salsa to use as a sauce as well. As it stands, the whole pizza has about 21g net carbs and it’s about 3 servings, so you’re looking at about 7g per serving. Not bad at all. It’s pretty high in calories because of the cheese, but you could thin that out a little to shave some off, if you wanted.
Feel free to try out your own variations and leave comments with what you tried, I’m always open to other people’s versions of things 🙂