I made the crustless pizza, it was good, I felt it could be better, I was right!
Okay, here’s what you’ll want to get:
- 2 lbs bulk Italian Sausage (I split mine between hot & mild)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Parmesan cheese (use your judgement as to the amount)
- ~2 cups pizza sauce (low-carb canned or homemade, I got mine made at the local market)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, or a blend of cheeses you like
- Toppings of choice (in this case, onions, red peppers and pepperoni)
- You ready for this? Preheat the oven to 400º and get out your cast iron pan. I used a #8 pan. If you don’t have a cast iron pan, you don’t deserve this pizza.
- If using hot & mild sausage, mix it together, then press it into the pan, making sure it is an even thickness across the bottom and have it go about 3/4 of the way up the sides of the pan. Basically, making a sausage dish. Then sprinkle on your garlic powder, oregano and parmesan cheese.
- Put it in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes, keeping an eye on it and checking the temperature of the sausage at about 15 minute mark, then every couple of minutes after. You want it to get to 160º, but you don’t want the sausage to shrink up too much.
- You should have your toppings all prepped. I was smart enough to slice my onions and peppers while the sausage was cooking, I hope you were too. If not, do it fast, but not so fast you cut yourself.
- Drain the excess grease from the sausage (be sure to hold it in place with a utensil while draining), then spread your sauce over the bottom of the sausage boat you made.
- Put in all your mozzarella and spread it evenly around, and then toss on your toppings.
- Place the pizza in the oven for about 15 or 20 minutes, keeping an eye on it, until everything gets melty.
- Switch the oven to broil and put the pie right under the broiler to kind of crisp up the top a bit.
- Take it out of the oven and let it set for a few minutes, because it’s gonna be gooey and good!