I’ll admit it, I like canned corned beef hash. It’s a guilty pleasure with a texture reminiscent of dog food. However, it has potatoes in it, and I’m not allowed to eat them, so I made a better, keto version for breakfast…
What you’ll need:
- 3 tbs bacon grease (you save it, don’t you? If not, use butter or oil)
- 1 cup onion, small dice
- 1 cup bell pepper, small dice
- 2 cups diced corned beef (homemade or store bought)
- 1/4 tsp Vadouvan* Curry powder
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 eggs
- salt, pepper & hot sauce to taste
- You ready for some breakfast? Okay then. Preheat that bacon grease in a skillet over medium-high heat. I love to use bacon grease because of the added flavor, but you can also use butter or an oil of your choice. You may need less oil, if you go that route.
- Toss in your onion and green pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Now add your corned beef and sprinkle the whole mixture with the Vadouvan*.
- Cook it for about 4 or 5 minutes until the edges of the beef are getting crispy, then put the mixture on a plate.
- Wipe out your skillet (or heat up another one) and melt the butter in it.
- Cook your eggs to order, I like them over easy so I get some yolk action mixed in with the hash. Slide the eggs on top of the hash and apply salt, pepper and hot sauce to your heart’s desire.
*Vadouvan Curry is a french curry blend that imparts amazing flavor, aroma, and a touch of heat to any dish. If you haven’t heard of it, or tried it, you really should get yourself to a spice store, or order some online. I use it in so many dishes now that I know it exists.
Trust me, it’s worth a try (and put it in soups, OMG, it adds so much to a soup that just needs a “little something”…