So, my daughter requested we go to Panda Express the other day. I found one thing there that was sort of keto, Black Pepper Chicken. Except, it wasn’t. Cornstarch!
So, I dug around and found a few different versions to learn from and came up with this one…
Here’s what you’re gonna need:
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cups onion, large dice
- 5 tbs cup soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- chili sauce of your choice (I used Sriracha)
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh ground black pepper (you may want to reduce this)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 4 tbs oil, divided (I used avocado oil)
- Here we go, cut up that chicken breast into bite-sized pieces. Now toss it in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, the ginger powder, the almond flour, and a good squirt of the chili sauce. Stir it all up and stick it in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now would be a good time to chop up the veggies and grind that black pepper.
- Put your wok, or large skillet over high heat and get 2 tablespoons of the oil shimmering. Add that chicken mixture!
- Brown the chicken in the oil, stirring a lot, until cooked through, then remove it from the wok.
- Put in the rest of the oil and heat it up a bit.
- Add in the veggies and cook them for about 45 seconds or so, not so their soft, but so they are cooked a bit and still have a bite.
- Put in the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, the 1 tablespoon of vinegar, the cooked chicken, black pepper and another squirt of chili sauce.
- Cook it up all together for about 30 seconds or so.
- You can just serve it in a bowl, as pictured, or put it over riced cauliflower (Shirataki noodles could also be a good thing to use).
I’m not going to lie, this dish has a lot of pepper, so you may want to scale back a bit. I like it just the way it is and the monkey has judged this to be tasty!